Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Old Artwork #3







Back in the late 1980's I did the cover to a record by British heavy metal band Excalibur. Sadly I dont have a copy of this work of genius to show you. However, the fact that this album sleeve featured a painting of a female back side in a thong did mean that a few other bands came to me & asked for 'a cover like the one you did for Excalibur'.

Around 1988-89 I was asked to do a cover for a record by another British heavy metal band, this time called Wraith, & guess what.. they wanted something like the Excalibur thing. I completed a whole series of color roughs, all of which were based on the original premise provided to me by the band, via their record company. The record was to be called either 'Control Yourself' or 'Scarred for Life'. In the end, I didnt do the finished art, & as I understand when the album finally surfaced, the band had opted for a photograph of themselves as the sleeve image. As was typical.. I was never payed for the roughs I did. Here's a few of them, all done in a mixture of ink, colored ink, some colored pencil, conté crayon & gouache.

BTW... like I sad.. it was the 80's.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aly Fell said...

Staz, these are great! I think of what I was drawing then and how naive they were compared. Then again, nothing's really changed! :)

4:57 AM  
Blogger Staz Johnson said...

LOL... suuuuure Aly. By the way,I'm not sure how old you'd have been back then but you may well remember the guys in the band I did these roughs for.. they were 'world famous in Nottingham'.. :-)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Staz..
remember me? anyway a bit of searching on Facebook brought me here.
Good to see all your hard work paid off.. gratz

oh and my reason for posting, i have that Excalibur Lp somewhere if you want it? or can take a photo etc..
andy

12:30 PM  
Blogger SAIDESTROYER said...

those look great!!

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home